mattresswarehouseutah

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The games we play

I had an idea, which morphed into another idea, and then finally settled on the final idea. I wanted to make a personal piece of "art" that reflected some of our families favorite games to display in our newly finished basement.  So I stumbled through Ebay, (I'm not very good at Ebaying) and bought way too many some scrabble tiles and a game board. 

(I have sold a few extra sets on KSL.com, but still have more to sell!)
I laid out a grid on Excel and started arranging words describing things the Tobler's play or liked to play when younger.


I was limited by the fact that board has only 15 spaces by 15 spaces and their were many words and games that did not fit. I would have liked to added "piano" and "lucky unders".   I glued a piece of foam board on the back to make it stable and give it depth when mounted.

 I glued each piece in place and then took it to Roberts Crafts to have it framed.  As luck would have it, it fit nicely inside a premade 16" x 16" frame so I didn't have to pay for a custom frame.  The framer did a great job giving it some depth in a little shadow box effect.  I loved the attention it got as I took the finished product up to the register to check out.


I was so excited to go home and hang it up!  I love the finished product.  (For anyone studying the actual words, wondering why we have CRUD on there, it is a fun game you play on a pool table, you earn the letters as you loose a turn and when you spell out crud, you are eliminated.)

3 comments:

  1. i LOVE this!!! i may have to copy this idea as I married the scrabble nerd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! We are crazy for scrabble.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete