We are making some exciting changes! The first changes are unsightly and messy. I'm okay with that. We are putting in granite countertops, but needed to make a few changes first. We have removed the desk unit because in 22 years no one has EVER sat at it and used it like a desk. So I had another cupboard unit made. But before that I wanted the problem of not enough electrical outlets fixed. So Handyman Hone came and put in a new outlet hidden in the cupboard. We now have the cable TV box, the TV, the undercabinet stereo, underbcabinet lighting and phone chargers plugged in the cupboard!
It meant hacking up the wall, but there will be tile on that wall when this mess is finished.
The new unit -- the drawers and doors are not yet done.
While the cabinet guy was here we had a new cupboard added here- (the door is not yet finished), but it seems too me there should have been one here all along! The granite is going to be 3" wider on the bar side than the existing counter is.
Then to further mess things up, I wanted to have undercabinet lighting so Handyman Hone had to rip up the walls a bit to install a switch and electrical wiring. Again this area will be tiled over so I am okay with this look.
I already love the lighting, even though there is nothing special lit up just yet.
There that have been MANY different granite contractors here taking maesurements and giving us estimates. We finally decided to go with the contractors through Costco.
Several trips to slab yards to pick out 2 slabs, so many choices.....
Next, a digital template is made- using measurements and digital photos to detect any irregularities. We got a sink and faucet through a mattress trade with a plumbing supply guy.
The next step is a VERY messy one. Next week we have to remove the old tile countertop. I am told this is extremely messy and we need to take extreme care to protect the (relatively) new hardwood floors. Then we rip down the old ceiling light and make more messy holes to put in canned lights, then tile backsplash.
I can hardly wait!!!!
this is awesome! I can't wait to see the end product! Is installing can lights with a floor above especially tricky?
ReplyDelete