mattresswarehouseutah

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Krumkake - our Norwegian tradition

One of the Norwegian traditions passed on to me by my Grandma Johnson was a taste for Krumkake. They are thin cookies rolled into a cone shape.  To me they are the taste of Christmas.  You could eat an entire container of them and never get full.  When I got married some ladies in the ward gave me a krumkake iron for my bridal shower, I don't think I thought much of it at the time, but it was a great gift.  I use it every year, and my own tradition is that I watch/listen to "It's a Wonderful Life" while making them.
These cookies take a Tablespoon of batter at a time, so it takes a while to make and roll each one.

This is the part that takes asbestos fingers...Hot, Hot.....Katie Jo had this job this year.
You can't eat them with one hand, you have to hold a hand under your mouth because they crumble all over.  However if you squirt whipped cream into the center they don't fall apart, they stick to the cream.

Yes, now it tastes like Christmas.  Thanks grandma.


No comments:

Post a Comment