mattresswarehouseutah

Friday, September 3, 2010

Personal Progress

This spring our Relief Sociey challenged the women in our ward to work on on the Young Women's personal progress program - if they had never done it before.  Being something of a goal oriented person, I decided to think about it.  So I read through the book.  There is a lot of stuff to do for this thing. I figured if my daughters did it, and one day my granddaughters will do it, I could too.
FAITH
I decided to do the "plant a garden" for my project, which I would be doing anyway, but this time I read about nurturing a garden as you would your faith.  I coincidentally read a gardening blog where the guy recommended 5 minutes a day weeding, and never letting the weeds get taller than an inch.  ONE inch!!  This turned out to be easier than I thought and for the 1st six weeks or so, it was easy and easy to see how nuturing your testimony each day yeilds the same results.

As the summer wore on I was a little less motivated, but found that by keeping those nasty weeds out when they were small paid off later. As usual, some stuff grew well and some failed altogether.  I've grown onions for years, this year they just laid down and died.  I planted some funky variety of Swiss Chard.  Yuck.  Just tore that nasty stuff out of there. We always have great success with our potatoes, carrotts and beets (except for the Year of the Gopher), and they have done well this year too.  I finally have some pumkins, but time will tell if there is enough time for them to grow and turn orange before the end of Octobler.
Last Sunday I started the Book of Mormon again, (a newish requirement in Personal Progress is to read it).  I absolutely am loving the connections with Lehi warning of the destruction of Jerusalem.  That didn't sound right.  What I mean is that since I am teaching Gospel Doctrine this year and I am immersed in the Old Testament prophets declaring the same warnings, it is pretty cool to take off with Lehi's family at the same time and see what an important event that is for the Gospel in the new world.  I'm pretty sure I'll get to the Book of Mormon Isaiah chapters at the same time I am teaching Isaiah in the O.T.  So, I guess the whole Young Woman/ Old Woman Personal Progress thing is pretty cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment